Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Philosophy behind the wheel

I had my first driving lesson today - and I didn't stall the car. My instructor Banele was sufficiently pleased with my cautious circuits of the practice field that he stopped advising me about the pedals and instead asked if I were a Christian - a normal enough question in this part of the world. I explained that I was not a churchgoer and that I followed my own path. He then asked why I had chosen to leave my comfortable homeland for Africa - another common question. Being absorbed in the intricacies of clutch application, I had to give him a simplified version. I told him my home town in Australia was a centre for weapons design, and after I received my degree, I found that all prospective employers handled defence contracts, which I wasn't willing to work on - so I applied for a volunteer job in Mozambique instead. That seemed to be something of a revelation to him. If I wasn't a Christian, he asked, how could I have made a decision on moral grounds? He agreed with me that people of all religions could be moral, but the notion of morality without religion plainly puzzled him.

No comments: