Monday, June 23, 2008

Another bleedin' temple

Those balloons again, on their early-morning flights over the lunar landscape of the Theban Escarpment.


Apologies to those growing bored with the endless round of temples and tombs, but I'm not stopping now, not when I'm about to introduce my personal favourite among the temples of Luxor.


The Memorial Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir al-Bahri. The other great temple complexes grew and rambled over the centuries as different pharoahs added to them. Hatshepsut built this temple and it seems none of her successors felt they could improve upon it. The original purity of design remains, borrowing spectacle from those magnificent cliffs.


Hatshepsut's temple is also notable for its delicate carvings, many of which show a naturalism not usually associated with ancient Egyptian art.


But as ever, I have to show the human relationship with these old monuments. First the photo that shows I was there:


Photo by Shaik, if I spell his name correctly, a caretaker at the temple. He refused to accept the baksheesh I offered him for doing me this small service - by all accounts the caretakers earn miserable salaries and rely on baksheesh to supplement their incomes - until I used the unfailing formula "for your children".

Now the photo that shows everyone else was there too.


There's an astonishing view through that gateway, and I spent a long time waiting for the crowd to clear so I could photograph it, but this time the tour groups defeated my patience.


(This seems an appropriate moment to mention that even after the Pyramids, my personal prize for the largest and most intrusive crowds at any tourist site I've visited on my travels remains safely with Borobudur, Indonesia.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the Egyptian adventures (and you have not got to the conference yet) but a brief interruption to tell us about how
Mozambique is coping with the fuel and food situations at the moment would be welcome (by me at least). I was taken aback by the recent warning from Graca Machel-Mandela regarding Mozambicans forced out of South Africa by anti-foreigner riots.

Sorry about the real world intrusion but you know what I am like.

Love from the PC

Anonymous said...

It is now July 17 and your last posting was June 22 ... have you exhausted the temples ... or exhausted yourself...? Speak, girl, speak ...,

Alexa said...

I am here, but my old friends at the Banco de Moçambique have been keeping me exhausted with their unreasonable reporting demands.

I'm just resurfacing now and I hope I can post again on the weekend.